Following the recent release of the Microsoft Office 2019 final RTM version, corporate customers can initiate their migration to a new MS Office platform. This article will discuss the features of MS Office KMS activation (this guide applicable to the volume editions of Office 2019 and 2016, including Project and Visio). This takes place after you have to install and activate the KMS (Key Management Service) host on Windows Server 2016/2012 R2.
A corporate KMS server makes it easy to activate volume editions of Microsoft products (such as Windows and Office) in an internal or isolated enterprise network without the need to provide direct access to Microsoft’s Internet activation servers for clients or using phone activation.
How to Configure KMS server to Activate MS Office 2019 and 2016?
- This guide applies only for Office 2019/2016 enterprise clients excluding Office 365 ProPlus;
- Each new MS Office KMS version doesn’t allow to activate the previous versions of MS Office (Office 2010 and 2013). For example, you can’t activate Office 2010 and 2013 on a KMS server with only Office 2019 support. To activate a previous version on your KMS server, you will have to set up the appropriate Volume License Pack and properly activate them.
Supported Operating System.
Make sure that computer that is going to be used as a KMS server meets the requirements:
- Office 2019 KMS – Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016;
- Office 2016 KMS – additionally supports Windows 7 SP1 (with the KB2757817 installed) and Windows Server 2008 R2 (with the KB2757817).
Office 2016 KMS and Windows KMS can be running on the same server or a workstation.
There are two types of MS Office activation:
- Activation with KMS server;
- The Active Directory-Based Activation (ADBA) that requires Active Directory domain with Windows 2012 schema version and with at least Windows Server 2012 as a domain controller.
First step: find and copy your MS Office 2016 or Office 2019 KMS host key in the personal zone on Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) website.
Second step: download the Volume License Pack for your Office version.
- Microsoft Office 2016 Volume License Pack –
- Microsoft Office 2019 Volume License Pack – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57342.
You need to run the downloaded file (office2016volumelicensepack_4324-1002_en-us_x86.exe or office2019volumelicensepack_x64.exe) as administrator on your KMS server. These license files allow your KMS host service to recognize KMS host keys for Office, Project and Visio. The activation files update script will be launched.
During the installation, the Volume Activation Tool windows will appear. You can choose one of the following activation method: using the AD (ADBA activation) or with the KMS host.
MS Office KMS activation method
- If you are going to use the KMS activation, choose the Key Management service, set your KMS server FQDN name and install KMS Host Key obtained earlier;
- Select the activation method by either using a phone or online. During the initial stage, provide direct Internet connection on your server;
- After you activate your Office KMS server, there would appear window with your current KMS configuration;
- There must appear Name:Office 16, VOLUME_KMS_channel or Name:Office 19, Office19KMSHost2019VL_KMS_Host in the list of products with Licensed status.
- Close the Volume Activation Tools. After this Software Protection Service will be restarted with new a configuration.
By default, the Software Protection Service that performs the KMS activation listens on TCP port 1688. You can enable Windows Firewall rule that allows clients to access the KMS server using the command:
Enable-NetFirewallRule -Name SPPSVC-In-TCP
In this case, a new SRV _VLMCS._TCP_domainname record is created in your DNS zone, which allows clients to automatically discover your KMS server in the domain. You can find the KMS server in the current Active Directory domain using the nslookup command:
nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp
Press Enter key in the Volume License Pack Install console.
The Active Directory-Based Activation for MS Office 2019/2016
If you want to use Active Directory-Based Activation, you will need to choose this option in your Volume Activation Tools wizard (you can use the ADBA activation for the clients running Windows 10/8.1 or Windows Server 2012/2012 R2/2016/2019).
Then you need to specify the KMS host key (CSVLK) and enter a display name for new activation object (optional).
Your remaining task is to activate the KMS host.
Close the VAT windows and press Enter. In order to obtain information only about the Office KMS host key that was installed, you need to execute a script with the specific SKU ID (the corresponding identifier could be seen earlier in the final stage of the Volume Activation Tools utility):
For Office 2016:
slmgr.vbs /dlv 98ebfe73-2084-4c97-932c-c0cd1643bea7
For Office 2019:
slmgr.vbs /dlv 85dd8b5f-eaa4-4af3-a628-cce9e77c9a03
Now you are ready to start activating clients.
Activation Office 2019/2016 Clients against KMS server
To activate Office volume copy on the client’s computer you can use ospp.vbs (Office Client Software License Management Tool) tool. Run these commands in Command Prompt as administrator:
- For Office 2016: CD “c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16”
(If you are using 32-bit MS Office version installed on 64-bit Windows, you need use this command:
CD “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16” )
- For Office 2019: CD “c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office19”
(or accordingly: CD “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office19” )
- Specify the KMS server name:
cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:kms01.yourdomain.com
- You can change the KMS server port addressed by the client using the command:
cscript ospp.vbs /setprt:1688
- Activate the Office on KMS server:
cscript ospp.vbs /act
- You can get the current status of activation using this command:
cscript ospp.vbs /dstatusall
For Office 2016:
License NAME: Office 16, Office16ProPlusVL_KMS_Client edition
License DESCRIPTION: Office 16, VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel
Product activation successfully
For Office 2019:
License NAME: Office 19, Office19KMSHost2019VL_KMS_Host edition
License DESCRIPTION: Office 19, VOLUME_KMS channel
Product activation successfully
In order to activate your devices with the Office 2019/2016 installed on the KMS server, there must be at least 5 clients requests within the last 30 days (activation threshold). If there are not enough activation requests from clients on the KMS server (you did not reach a minimum number of copies to get the licensing working), an error will appear
ERROR CODE: 0xC004F038
ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product could not be activated. The count reported by your Key Management Service (KMS) is insufficient. Please contact your system administrator.
The activation period is 180 days. The reactivation period is 7 days after which the activation period is being reset to zero.
You can display the activation history on the client:
cscript ospp.vbs /dhistorykms
To manage Office activation with current credentials on remote computers, you can use the following command:
cscript ospp.vbs /act remotepc2
If during client activation you are facing an error 0xC004F074 – this is a known problem that does not yet have a normal solution except for re-creating KMS on Windows Server 2012 R2 or creating a separate KMS for Office 2016 only.
GVLK for KMS and Active Directory-based activation of Office 2019 and Office 2016
By default, corporate versions of Office 2019 and Office 2016 are installed with the Generic Volume License Key (GVLK). GVLK allows the installed Office copy to automatically detect and activate on the KMS server.
After you installed the KMS host or created ADBA object, the installed MS Office copies on the computer are activating automatically, as long as the computer has a GVLK installed and the computer is joined to the Active Directory domain. Therefore, the GVLK key is not required usually (they are preinstalled in all Office 2019/2016 volume products).
Note. You can install Office 2019 only on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016/2019.
But just in case, below you can find a list of official public GVLK keys for products from MS Office package, which must be used during client activation with KMS server.
|Product||GVLK keys (KMS keys for clients)|
|Office Professional Plus 2019||NMMKJ-6RK4F-KMJVX-8D9MJ-6MWKP|
|Office Standard 2019||6NWWJ-YQWMR-QKGCB-6TMB3-9D9HK|
|Project Professional 2019||B4NPR-3FKK7-T2MBV-FRQ4W-PKD2B|
|Project Standard 2019||C4F7P-NCP8C-6CQPT-MQHV9-JXD2M|
|Visio Professional 2019||9BGNQ-K37YR-RQHF2-38RQ3-7VCBB|
|Visio Standard 2019||7TQNQ-K3YQQ-3PFH7-CCPPM-X4VQ2|
|Skype for Business 2019||NCJ33-JHBBY-HTK98-MYCV8-HMKHJ|
|MS Office Standard edition||XQNVK-8JYDB-WJ9W3-YJ8YR-WFG99|
|MS Office Professional Plus 2016||JNRGM-WHDWX-FJJG3-K47QV-DRTFM|
|Project Professional 2016||YG9NW-3K39V-2T3HJ-93F3Q-G83KT|
|Project Standard 2016||GNFHQ-F6YQM-KQDGJ-327XX-KQBVC|
|Visio Professional 2016||PD3PC-RHNGV-FXJ29-8JK7D-RJRJK|
|Visio Standard 2016||7WHWN-4T7MP-G96JF-G33KR-W8GF4|
|MS Excel 2016||9C2PK-NWTVB-JMPW8-BFT28-7FTBF|
|MS OneNote 2016||DR92N-9HTF2-97XKM-XW2WJ-XW3J6|
|Microsoft Outlook 2016||R69KK-NTPKF-7M3Q4-QYBHW-6MT9B|
|Microsoft PowerPoint 2016||J7MQP-HNJ4Y-WJ7YM-PFYGF-BY6C6|
|Microsoft Publisher 2016||F47MM-N3XJP-TQXJ9-BP99D-8K837|
|Skype for Business 2016||869NQ-FJ69K-466HW-QYCP2-DDBV6|
|MS Word 2016||WXY84-JN2Q9-RBCCQ-3Q3J3-3PFJ6|
The Office product key can be optionally changed to KMS from the command prompt:
cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx